Preparing for the deer season means that you must complete all the tools and equipment that will help you perform a successful hunt. The best climbing tree stand is one of the helpful gears that deliver improved visibility over the hunting ground and the prey as well as a good vantage point.
The goal in finding a climbing tree stand is to get your hands on the one mobile enough, has a good price, and is convenient to set up and use.
(*) Editor's Choice: Summit Titan SD 81083 Self Climbing Treestand
What to Look for in a Climbing Tree Stand?
Knowing the requirements of the hunting region where you plan to hunt will help you decide which climbing tree stand you need. Aside from this, you should also know what qualities to look for to make the buying process smooth. When shopping, keep in mind that you have to consider your personal needs. What works for other people may not be the best choice for you. Some of the features that you have to evaluate are as follows:
What Makes a Good Climbing Tree Stand?
Aside from the features, you also have to look at the qualities of the climbing tree stand. Here are some of them that you should consider:
Safe to Use
Advantages of a Climbing Tree Stand
When compared to other tree stands, you have gains with climbing models. Here are some of the advantages of climbing tree stands:
- Climbing tree stands are comfortable than hang-on tree stands.
Climbing tree stands feature arm and foot rests that is absent in majority of hang-on stands. Also, climbing stands have wide platforms that allow for more space. And instead of just a seat, some tree stands also has a cushion to provide back support.
- Climbing tree stands are safe.
A majority of the climbing stands feature enclosure bars which you can wrap around you. You can also use this as a gun rest. This wrap around design keeps you secure as you are not merely suspended in mid-air. With its overall style, there is no risk of missing a step and being impaled.
- Climbing tree stands are convenient.
In just a matter of minutes and a few pruning of tree limbs, the climbing tree stand is ready for assembly and set up at your desired height. There is no need for the tree to be perfectly straight just as long as you have pruned the tree properly. Lastly, the system is super quite to attach and use.
Safe Use of Climbing Tree Stands
Safety is always top priority. Here are a some tips on how to keep your hunting safe while using a climbing tree stand:
- Wear a TMA-approved harness as you soon as you reach above ground level.
- Do not skip reading the manufacturer’s instructions, especially about safety guidelines. Make sure that you understand every guideline in the manual.
- To raise and lower equipment and weapons, always use a rope.
- Keep your weapon unloaded until you have secured the climbing tree stand in place.
- Prior to using your stand, be sure to inspect for any loose or worn out parts. If any part is in need of replacement, only use manufacturer approved replacement pieces.
- Try your tree stand first at ground level before you take it to a higher level.
- Practice extra caution in dark and wet settings.
- Do not, under any circumstances, hunt on a climbing tree stand if you are sick and taking any medication.
- Do not consume alcohol when hunting
How to Set Up a Climbing Tree Stand
Top 5 Best Climbing Tree Stand
1.Summit Titan SD 81083 Self Climbing Treestand (Editor's Choice)
The Summit Titan SD 81083 Climbing Tree Stand features its manufacturer’s Dead Metal Sounding Technology that reduces the noise of assembling and using the tree stand down to a minimum by having the critical parts of this gear filled with expanding foam. In this way, you can avoid startling your prey and scaring them away.
This tree stand has another great feature, which is the QuickDraw cable retention system, which is considered as one of the greatest innovations in tree stands. Through this, the cable system becomes faster and quitter. It enables auto locking without the hassle of scrabbling with pins, knobs, and bolts.
The RapidClimb Stirrups of this tree stand is engineered to fit any kind of boot. Thus, it becomes easier to climb to the desired height. Lastly is the SummitLokt Technology, which guarantees the tree stand to be rigid and strong. The end result is a secure climbing tree stand that is safe to use.
- Spacious enough for big body build
- Manageable weight for carrying and hiking
- Easy to assemble and take down
- High capacity
- Solid build
- Good price
- Shrink wrap can peel and tear from use
- Seat backing creates some noise as positioned against the tree
- Cushion was not waterproof
The Ol Man Steel Tree Climber features a mesh seat that delivers comfort for hours of sitting and waiting for prey. It has a 3-way design that enables you to adjust the tree stand depending on your hunting style.You can configure this tree stand into a straight bar or with the reversible gun or foot rest. When it comes to quietness, this tree stand is one of the quietest in the market so there would be no issue in scaring off prey.
Durability is brought by the steel construction of this tree stand topped off with a matte finish. It also has high capacity of up to 300 pounds.
- Hassle free design—you would not be forced to raise the entire section of the tree stand so that the seat will be levelled and comfortable
- Steel frame is highly durable
- Secure even with strong winds in the hunting region
- Many safety features
- Easy to fold up
- Instructions provided are well written
- Solid construction
- Harness is not that good of quality
- Backpack straps are uncomfortable
- Coating near the welded parts are chipping, which leads to rusting on the surface
- Foam padding on the footrest tears easily
The Summit Viper Climbing Treestand features various technologies including the DeadMetal technology, which incorporates an expandable foam into the aluminum tubing for less metal to metal sound. It has a QuickDraw cable system that allows for easy and secure attaching. It also features the RapidClimb stirrups that enables fast yet secure raising of the tree stand’s level. Lastly is the SummitLokt technology in its aluminum build that allows for improved rigidity and strength.
This model features a closed front stand made of aluminum. It has a suspended foam padded seat with a backrest to deliver comfort while waiting and hunting for prey. Moreover, it comes it camo color to blend in with the surroundings.
It weighs just 20 pounds but has a capacity of up to 300 pounds. This model comes with a full body fall arrest harness for improved safety.
- Good quality cables
- Good quality fall protection
- Sturdy and well built
- Aluminum material makes it lightweight
- Good price
- Some parts that are used to bite into the tree protrude when folded and cause injuries when carried
- Space is limited
- Paint peeled in some parts
The Lone Wolf Climbing Tree Stand is a lightweight tree stand at only 17.5 pounds, making it easy to carry as you travel from your home to the hunting site or as you move to another hunting area. It has a cast aluminum platform that offers a sufficient amount of space to make the preparations as you take the aim.
It also comes in a camo design that allows you to blend in with the surroundings. Its seat pad is contoured to provide maximum comfort.
- Best for bow hunting
- Compact and lightweight
- Firm locking
- Belt is quiet
- Can be set on the tree even if there are limbs between the platform and the seat
- Requires a bit of practice to get it up on the tree
- Platform is not smooth
- Climbing this tree stand tends to be a bit awkward
- Seat has the tendency to slide down
The Lone Wolf Sit & Climb Tree Stand allows for easy climbing with its “Sit and Climb” concept. Comfort is delivered by the 2-panel contoured foam seat pad even for extended hours of sitting. This tree stand has a slim profile that allows for easy carrying and moving from one site to another. It is lightweight due to its aluminum construction. This tree stand package includes the accessories needed for assembly and safety.
- Silent both going in and out
- Compact and easy to pack
- Comfortable even after several hours of sitting
- Easy climbing
- Lock system enables easy attaching to the tree
- Size is a bit small for bigger people
- Adjustment knobs do not work well
- A bit pricey than other tree stands
- Small platform
- Low quality straps
The ultimate goal is to find the climbing tree stand that is user-friendly, lightweight, compact, lightweight, quiet, and has the right set of features for your hunting style. In this review, the model that stood out is the Summit Titan SD 81083 Climbing Tree Stand for its amazing technologies that guarantee discreetness, light weight, compactness, user-friendliness and safety of use.
If you are looking for a spacious, durable, and comfortable model, you should consider this tree stand as an investment for your hobby.
- Best Tree Climbing Stand