Some of you are competitive and active when it comes to sports. While there are lots of sports to choose from, there is certainly one among them that makes it your favorite. Who knows you might like the sport speedball which is a fairly known sport in the world.
We all have different preferences when it comes to playing sports. Normally, we assess our own skills and decide for ourselves what’s best for us that fit our strengths. Therefore, for those who love to play engaging, challenging, adventurous, thrilling and fast-paced game, speedball is definitely for you. In this article, we will try to have better understanding of the sport, its definition, history and the gameplay.
What Is Speedball?
Before anything else, it is very important that we know the aspects of the sport we will be playing. It is vital that we have proper knowledge about it as it will help us enjoy the sport later on as we try to play. So, what is speedball really all about?
First of all, you should not overlook the fact that speedball is a variant of paintball. It is usually played on small flat fields. It is known to have a very quick pace as the name suggests. All of the players are pretty much near to each other. The only thing that covers them or hides them are the barriers placed on the field. These are man-made bunkers. During this game, it will absolutely test your attentiveness, strategic thinking and planning, timing, accuracy in shooting and teamwork.
Image credit: pinterest.com
The primary objective of this sport is just the same as other paintball games – to eliminate and defeat the opposing team, get the flag and return it to the base. The sport basically favors those people who like to challenge themselves, play fast-paced games, run and slide. In fact, most of the speedball games only last for a few minutes. However, this does not mean that a player would not be able to shoot hundreds of paintballs in just a single game.
The History of Paintball
Speedball was the product of innovation of Elmer D. Mitchell. He invented it in the early 1920s at the University of Michigan. He was a professor who taught physical education. He developed the sport with the thinking that it should not be restrictive to the rules of any of the sport. He used this to encourage students to engage and be involved in sports activities most especially those who do not like sports in general.It became popular and afterwards, it was modified by the players and coaches of Millburn High School in New Jersey. As it gained fame, it was moved to be an official gym class election which any student could take. In the present, it is played in several schools in America as part of physical education classes. Despite being invented many years ago, it is still not declared as an official sport.
It became popular and afterwards, it was modified by the players and coaches of Millburn High School in New Jersey. As it gained fame, it was moved to be an official gym class election which any student could take. In the present, it is played in several schools in America as part of physical education classes. Despite being invented many years ago, it is still not declared as an official sport.
- The game begins with a jump ball in the center of the court.
- The field players can freely move anywhere on the court during the same. They are allowed to use any of their body parts to touch the ball with the exception of the arms or hands.
- Players are permitted to use their arms or hands if the last thing the ball touches is not the ground. If the ball bounces off the ground, the players must not capture or pick up the ball.
Image credit: youtube.com
- A handball penalty is given if a player illegally touches the ball with the use of his hands or arms. As such, the ball will be delivered to the opposing team’s goalie.
- It is a must for a player to stop moving when he has the ball because if he keeps on moving while having the possession of the ball, it will be marked as travel and the ball will be returned to the other team.
- If a player has the possession of the ball, he has the freedom to pass it to his teammates, try to score or drop the ball.
- Goalies are expected to stay on their own court and must not cross the half court line. They have the power to pick up the ball or use any part of their body. It will not be considered “illegal” as they are the goalie.
Speedball is becoming more popular as a sport. It is quite a mixed game because of the fact that most of its rules derived from basketball, soccer and football. As we have mentioned, it is a very fast-paced game lasting for only minutes. Therefore, being able to play with speed and correct timing is important in this sport. Another important thing is that you have to obey the rules of the game in order for you to enjoy the whole game.
- History Of Speedball
- Speedball Game History
- Speedball History
- What Is Speedball History Sport
- Who Invented American Speedball
- Speedball Sport History
- History On Speedball
- History Of Speedball Game
- Outdoor Recreation Definition